httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: new apache home page take 1
Date Tue, 27 May 1997 08:57:34 GMT
    Aren't tradeshows wonderful?  At least I'm back to where I can do
    some mail, though I have to wait for my systems to come back before
    I can test patches, et cetera.

>From the fingers of Brian Behlendorf flowed the following:
>
>No new look or graphics or anything, I just moved the mirror listing to its own
>page (since it was getting extremely voluminous), moved the categories under
>the web site to the top, made the categories a table, etc.  Overall reduced the
>size of the text of the home page from 13K to 3K.  Let me know what you think,
>silence = consent. :)

    Looks good to me, on the whole.  Some points:

     o I, too, dislike graphics added as pseudo-bullets.  Not only do
       they take up wire time and cache space, but they don't wrap
       correctly.  Use the built-in HTML, possibly with "TYPE=CIRCLE" or
       "TYPE=SQUARE" if you don't like the black dot.  (That's an
       HTML 3.2ism, not in 2.0.)
     o While un-BLOCKQUOTing the text would cause the page to consume
       less vertical real-estate, it could also lead to so few lines of
       normal text under a large headline as to appear ridiculous.
       Leave it as is for now, say I.
     o I think the "international mirrors" link should be an H3 *above*
       the table, and renamed to something like "Find a Mirror Site Near
       You".  With the international scope and the World-Wide Wait, I
       think this will be a more important link than the others.

>From the fingers of Marc Slemko flowed the following:
>
>Many of the web pages could use a little going over to make them a bit
>nicer, in a uniform style of course.  Nothing too fancy, but something
>functional that has the impression of being less than 3 years old.  If
>only there existed a person with the time...

    Since I'm still on the learning curve about so much of the internal
    workings of the server, I'll volunteer for this.  Any objections to
    upgrading/taking advantage of HTML 3.2 features?

    #ken    :-)}