httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: C++. Style guide.
Date Fri, 02 May 1997 15:59:39 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Thu, 1 May 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > An interesting idea. It seems to me, though, that what this gets you is no
> > better, and in some ways worse, than using C++ and inheritance. Am I missing
> > something?
>
> Oh no, not again. I say no, use Java if we must re-code Apache into a
> different language, but I'd prefer to stick with C. Yes some OO
> programming techniques are great, and lets use them in C whereever
> possible, but C++ is much less widely used (how many other Unix systems
> programs are written in C++? perl? bind? sendmail? inn? cvs? lynx? xntp?
> Umm).

Most of them predate C++, so it isn't a strong argument. And is Java as
widespread as C++, even?

Anyway, using C++ will be educational for those who don't know it, and more
fun than C for those who do. As well as being just generally better. Although
you can use OO in C, the experience can only be described as painful.

If I may quote Stroustrup: "C++ is a general purpose programming language
designed to make programming more enjoyable for the serious programmer". He
ain't wrong.

> Anyway, while we are going over old wounds, what about resurrecting the
> Apache coding style guide. It was an excellent idea in my opinion and was
> 95% complete when the world fell over. Or use this easy-to-digest two word
> programming style guide:
>
>    Use comments.

I still have the style guide as it was lurking somewhere on one of my machines.

Shall I add it to the repository? Or what? Start posting it again?

Cheers,

Ben.

--
** Buy "Apache: The Definitive Guide" from http://www.links.org/apache **