httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: C++. Style guide.
Date Fri, 02 May 1997 22:11:16 GMT
>Having dealt with C++ on the compiler end of things (at WATCOM) I have no
>love for the language.  A modern language should not have ambiguities.
>We learned how to avoid that long before the 80s.  Why a language built
>in the 80s has to be so screwed up is beyond me.  Furthermore, if you
>write in the true OO fashion you screw yourself for performance.

That matches my experience.  OO design is always worthwhile, but that has
little to do with the programming language.  OOP with a real OO language
is usually worthwhile.  C++ is not a real OO language, and thus lulls the
programmer into a false sense of security and down into the pitfalls
where Stroustrup cut corners in order to get his C++ --> C translator
to work, rather than just designing the language as the programmer
would expect.

Java is a nice language, but small-scale garbage collection would kill
Apache even with a native compiler.  In any case, Jigsaw is a fine and
dandy Java server and doesn't need our effort (yet).

Personally, I am neutral on whether or not to use C++ over C.
I do not consider C++ to be better than C; its just different.

....Roy