httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: [post-1.2] proposed api extension mechanism ["Lou D. Langholtz" <sysldl@usi.utah.edu>] (fwd)
Date Fri, 02 May 1997 12:16:38 GMT
Ian Kluft wrote:

> > From: Ben Laurie <ben@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
> > I'm concerned that this discussion is based on vapourware [...]
>
> It was vaporware yesterday when I proposed it because I guessed (correctly)
> that it would be torn to shreds in this discussion before I got a sense for
> what direction the group wanted to take.  (I've been watching this group
> long enough to know that was going to happen!)  It would have been a waste
> to get started before soliciting some input since this is in the core.

The vapourware to which I refer is the assertion "C++ doesn't work on most
platforms", not the structure you are proposing.

> I've started coding now, mainly based on Brian Behlendorf's suggested
> compromise of an OO-based system in C.  That seemed to be the closest to
> the middle ground in comments I've seen here.

C++ _is_ an OO-based system in C. If you are going to go OO, why not do it in
C++ then we can use it to test whether C++ is or isn't sufficiently portable?

Cheers,

Ben.

--
** Buy "Apache: The Definitive Guide" from http://www.links.org/apache **