httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: [post-1.2] proposed api extension mechanism
Date Fri, 02 May 1997 07:01:28 GMT
Ian Kluft wrote:

> > From: Ben Laurie <ben@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
> > An interesting idea. It seems to me, though, that what this gets you is no
> > better, and in some ways worse, than using C++ and inheritance. Am I missing
> > something?
>
> Very perceptive.  This algorithm is really not a new idea for me since it's
> similar to what I used in my masters thesis in 1991 as part of a proposal
> for object-oriented extensions to C.  Back then, the battle between C++
> and Objective-C was not yet settled.  Leaving out the bulk of the details,
> the algorithm that was the core of the virtual functions (dynamic type
> binding) is very similar to the algorithm I proposed here.
>
> One of the main criteria in this proposal was to have minimal changes to
> the API and maintain code compatibility with Apache 1.2 modules.  You
> can't meet that criteria if you change the language to C++.  That would
> basically be a completely new HTTP server with an incompatible API.

This is true, but what you propose would change so much anyway that there would
effectively be a new API. So, I'm not convinced that we shouldn't just go the
whole hog.

Furthermore, I don't think it is impossible to keep compatibility with C if
you switch to C++, though it may be more trouble than its worth.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
** Buy "Apache: The Definitive Guide" from http://www.links.org/apache **