httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: [post-1.2] proposed api extension mechanism
Date Fri, 02 May 1997 02:47:13 GMT
>One of the main criteria in this proposal was to have minimal changes to
>the API and maintain code compatibility with Apache 1.2 modules.  You
>can't meet that criteria if you change the language to C++.  That would
>basically be a completely new HTTP server with an incompatible API.

Yes.  That is why we call it 2.0.  The intention is a complete redesign.
I also see no reason to support every barely-Unix system under the sun,
since the users of those systems can keep using 1.2.

BTW, I would appreciate it if the 2.0 source repository is made a
separate module under cvs instead of using a branch.  It is hard enough
to trace changes already and we have no desire to merge the branches later.

....Roy