httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Molly and the Apache API
Date Sat, 31 May 1997 13:00:01 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> If we do this, then we create an instant marketplace, for people to
> create "Apache plug-ins" and deseminate them. Admittedly, there are a
> few of these now. mod_php. mod_perl. Stuff like that. But making easy
> plug-in-ability would open it up to the commercial field as
> well. Wouldn't it be neat to open up a mail order catalog and see a
> page full of Apache plug-ins?
>
> And, to get back to the point of this message, it would inspire people
> to emulate the Apache API. So we'd better have an API worth
> cloning. Or one able to be...

As you mention, Apache's API exists, but it's not very well documented.
As such, it's another layer (or obstacle) that a module-writer need
to pass thru. I'm all for some really good docs for the API. Ben's
book has a very good start, but I'm sure there are copyright's against
it's use :)

                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"