httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: new apache home page take 1
Date Tue, 27 May 1997 16:46:20 GMT
> On Mon, 26 May 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
> > http://bong.com/~brian/apsite/
> >
> > No new look or graphics or anything, I just moved the mirror listing to its own
> > page (since it was getting extremely voluminous), moved the categories under
> > the web site to the top, made the categories a table, etc.  Overall reduced the
> > size of the text of the home page from 13K to 3K.  Let me know what you think,
> > silence = consent. :)
>
> Looks good to me. Although I think that someday we should think about
> a new look and new graphics. Although the feather is pretty nifty,
> I've never liked that yellow bullet, and the Apache web pages are
> generally "low-tech" when compared to what passes for good web design
> nowadays.

Things are showing their age. I think Brian's look fine.

I've attempted to head down this path in the past to "improve" the
look and met with many strong opinions about what the pages should
provide. Didn't seem worth the effort in the long run, not to
mention the time that many/most of us are short of.