httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [BUG] DEFAULT_USER has to exist
Date Thu, 15 May 1997 14:03:02 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> First off, if it is run as a non-root uid currently it won't warn about
> anything even if there is a User directive that specifies a different
> user.
>
> I am not suggesting changing how Apache does its decision making once it
> has a user and group, but simply changing the fact that right now, if you
> set DEFAULT_USER to foobar and have a user directive setting it to beewiz,
> then _both_ foobar and beewiz have to exist on the server even though it
> never actually does anything as foobar.

I don't see anything _wrong_ about that... It's bad enough fixing
real bugs but adding code to get around administrator stupidity
is something else. If someone purposely edits the config files
to add/change the DEFAULT_USER to something then I think Apache
is well within it's ``rights'' to bail out if that user doesn't
exist.
                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"