httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [post-1.2] proposed api extension mechanism
Date Fri, 02 May 1997 00:09:07 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Java would kill our performance on high end systems.  I'm not against
> supporting server-side java, just against writing the server in it.  Having
> written a groupware multicast layer in it I have no desire to do any more
> network programming in Java.  It's far too painful.
>
> Dean
>
> On Thu, 1 May 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> > Why don't we use Java? :)
> >
> > Actually, I'm partly serious. Java has some featers that make it a
> > lot cleaner than C++ for doing this sort of thing....

I don't think that Java as currently implemented is either mature
enough or stable enough to "trust" for Apache. That's my own
opinion. Some things in Java are very very nice, mucho better
than C++; I just don't trust it.

Moving to C++ really does make sense, but there's the portability
concern. Right now we use ANSI C, but no real ANSI functions.
Moving to C++ assumes a nicely working ++ library, which I doubt
many systems have.

Heck, if our support shell scripts need to be so basic as to
not assume functions, we can't go too far overboard in compilers :)

                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"