httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Kluft <ikl...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: [post-1.2] proposed api extension mechanism
Date Thu, 01 May 1997 22:47:36 GMT
> From: Ben Laurie <ben@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
> An interesting idea. It seems to me, though, that what this gets you is no
> better, and in some ways worse, than using C++ and inheritance. Am I missing
> something?

Very perceptive.  This algorithm is really not a new idea for me since it's
similar to what I used in my masters thesis in 1991 as part of a proposal
for object-oriented extensions to C.  Back then, the battle between C++
and Objective-C was not yet settled.  Leaving out the bulk of the details,
the algorithm that was the core of the virtual functions (dynamic type
binding) is very similar to the algorithm I proposed here.

One of the main criteria in this proposal was to have minimal changes to
the API and maintain code compatibility with Apache 1.2 modules.  You
can't meet that criteria if you change the language to C++.  That would
basically be a completely new HTTP server with an incompatible API.

So I think you understood the idea.  But that design criteria may not have
been made clear.
--
Ian Kluft  KO6YQ PP-ASEL                                  Cisco Systems, Inc.
ikluft@cisco.com (work)  ikluft@thunder.sbay.org (home)          San Jose, CA