httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <>
Subject Re: Voting guidelines..
Date Sun, 13 Apr 1997 13:42:03 GMT
On 13 Apr 1997, Paul Richards wrote:

> Voting should just be scrapped. People keep going on about the
> difficulty they have committing time to the project, if I get a free
> weekend, like I have today, then I want to hack code. I might not have
> time later in the week and may not have free time for quite a while. I
> either commit now or probably never since subsequent changes make it
> difficult to merge.

that's a good thing IMO. I'd rather that someone like you or ME who
makes few code changes can't just pop up, commit something and then
disappear for a week or month. I think code should be committed based
on when it's ready and not on what's a conevenient time for the submitter.

As for voting, it has a use for anyone who wants to keep up with
a stable version of Apache by staying in sync with the CVS tree.
I hope more people outside of this list will start doing this in the
future because it heads off more problems early on.
I don't want to download a half-baked httpd one week and find
it knocks the machine over in the middle of the night. That code
should be robust.

Let's stop making these FreeBSD comparisions. We're doing different
things, and their system is far from perfect too - I've downloaded my
fair share of broken FreeBSD cvs output. I love what they do, but don't
feel the urge to mimc their every move on the Apache front.

View raw message