httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: Voting guidelines..
Date Sun, 13 Apr 1997 13:02:59 GMT
On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> Buhhhhhhaaaaaa! No, no, Brian.

you meant Ben I think.

> Last year when we discussed this point the
> final result was that no one could
>
>   1. say who is really part of the Apache Group
>   2. everyone is at least part when he contributes some stuff
>   3. everyone who thinks he is part of the Apache Group can vote

That's my feeling on the subject too.

Sadly, it's pointless arguing over who can and can't vote when the
voting guidelines are either being ignored, abused or deemed obsolete
depending on who's submitting/committing what and when.

I'd like to see old style voting before committing, but only if it's
applied to all code commits. The alternative will (IMO) degenerate
into a free for all with more people wanting cvs privs in order to
join in.

This is not a criticism of anyone, just an observation; we currently
have, for example, Chuck unilaterally committing proxy code with few patches
being marked as reviewed. As Apache gets even bigger, this is going
to become more common. The lack of consistency will inevitably lead
to arguments and ill-feeling in the future.

rob