httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject mod_auth problems (fwd)
Date Sat, 12 Apr 1997 12:17:17 GMT

Something for the FAQ..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 16:22:53 +1000 (EST)
From: Anand Kumria <wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au>
To: Rob Hartill <robh@imdb.com>
Subject: mod_auth problems

Rob, I wrote to you about two weeks ago regarding problems I was having
with Apache 1.1.1 and Apache 1.2b6 when attempting authorisation. It turns
out that this is because my access control files have:

<username>:<password>:

When the file is like this, Apache 1.2b6 (and b8) make use of everything
from the first colon onwards as the crypted password, thus causing the
authorisation failed dialog.

Once you remove the second colon so each line looks like :

<username>:<password>

Authorisaton works. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but it should probably
be documented so that others who might be having problems can resolve it.

Thanks, Anand.

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are