httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: something to think about for 2.0...
Date Tue, 08 Apr 1997 21:21:28 GMT
On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Chuck Murcko wrote:

> It may be worthwhile thinking about assigning priority to handlers, to
> force things to happen internally in some defined order. I shudder to
> think about putting these into a config file, but that may be what we
> should do.

mod_perl has stacked handlers.

In *.conf:

PerlHeaderParserHandler Imdb::PreRequest::mod_browser Imdb::PreRequest::block_bozos Imdb::AcceptLanguage

Calls 3 Perl subroutines in sequence. The first emulates mod_browser
in 3 lines of code, the 2nd boots out unwelcome visitors based
on any criteria I like, and the third does quick language negotiation.

Any handler can return a 'DONE' response to prevent the rest from
kicking in. I think Doug's even got the handlers able to 'pipe' data
between themselves.

Mmmm, donuts.    :-b

Anyway, 2.0 is years away if people continue to add changes to 1.2b*
and prevent it from settling. It'll never be perfect and the longer we
leave it the more new bugs we'll find. We just as well remove the "b"
and call it 1.2.8 and increment the most minor number ever few weeks
if any bugs get squished.

http://us.imdb.com/tour   .. a site for sore eyes.