httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Bug with large # of fd's in 1.2b7
Date Tue, 29 Apr 1997 22:07:00 GMT
As I've mentioned before on these bugs there's almost nothing we can do
because there are C library routines that require fds but do nothing
intelligent to report they can't get them.  All the gethostby* functions
for example.  They're likely going to find that it was one of my "continue
after errors" patches, so that'd be a good starting point.

I'm guessing something else is causing apache to allocation more fds than
it would otherwise.  I ran into this recently.  mod_log_hotwired was based
on the old mod_log_common and used the same per-server config to open
logs.  Then I added a per-directory config to it and was surprised to
discover that even on the vhosts which didn't touch the per-directory
config I was getting a new per-server config for each of them.  That meant
that instead of one site-wide log file handle I now had one for each
vhost.  My solution was to indirectly point at the log file/fd and
preserve that across per-server merges.

I diagnosed this problem using lsof.  Maybe they should try that and see
just what it has open.

Dean