httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: $#%@#! Solaris 2.5.1 and fd problem FAQ
Date Fri, 25 Apr 1997 21:06:29 GMT
It is a limitation of FILE *, and probably some C library functions under
solaris.  But FILE * is the largest problem with it.  Sun has never said
they would fix it... because fixing it breaks binary compatibility.

We've proposed a bunch of fixes.  Including the obvious: don't use stdio.
You could try linking against sfio in stdio compatibility mode.  If that's
not an option you're kind of stuck.  But you could add this to util.c:

int get_high_fd (int fd)
{
    int high_fd;

    if (fd >= 256) {
	return fd;
    }
    high_fd = fcntl (fd, F_DUPFD, 256);
    if (high_fd == -1) {
	return fd;
    }
    close (fd);
    return high_fd;
}

And then after every socket(), and open() call (which aren't fdopen()d later)
just go fd = get_high_fd (fd);.

That'll leave the arena < 256 available for fopens.

Dean