httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: something to think about for 2.0...
Date Tue, 08 Apr 1997 19:55:25 GMT
I'm strongly in the "forget the past" camp ;)  You could say radical.  I'm
talking not only forget the past config file format but also forget
operating systems that aren't "modern" enough!  Yeah yeah I can dream :)

At any rate I've got a list of optimizations and I have been thinking of
methods of satisfying the present configuration generality in a more
optimal way... I think we can pull some tricks with "compiling" the config
file to a more optimal format that's run by a light interpreter.  For
example, the process of matching URLs against <Directory>/etc sections is
just an application of a lexical scanner.  In the absence of .htaccess
files you can make this scream by using techniques like flex does... in
the presence of .htaccess files you end up having to "truncate" the search
tree at certain points and start dipping into the filesystem.  But I'm far
enough out of touch with recent language theory work to know if there's a
cool method of updating a lexical grammar on the fly.

Dean