httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject os-bsdi/295: Can't create more than 128 Virtual Hosts 1.2b7. (fwd)
Date Tue, 01 Apr 1997 20:57:50 GMT
If we were to use fcntl( fd, F_DUPFD, 10 ) after opening a log we could
push the descriptor up over #10.  Then close the original one.  If that
dup fails then we know the config probably has too many virtualhosts.

The only reason this is required is because various c library functions
(gethostby* for example) require descriptors and do not give meaningful
errors when they can't get them.  I've actually been trying to reproduce
some of the "httpd SEGVs with >N vhosts" bugs with no luck...

Dean

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:30:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Sean Rolinson <snowdog@charm.net>
To: apache-bugdb@apache.org
Cc: apache-bugdb@apache.org
Subject: os-bsdi/295: Can't create more than 128 Virtual Hosts 1.2b7.

	The contract type is `' with a response time of 3 business hours.
	A first analysis should be sent before: Tue Apr 01 15:00:01 PST 1997

>Number:         295
>Category:       os-bsdi
>Synopsis:       Can't create more than 128 Virtual Hosts 1.2b7.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Can't create more than 128 Virtual Hosts.  The server 'hangs' when trying
to use more than 128.  Works fine with Apache 1.1.3.  There are no error
messages that we are able to find.  Server starts but doesn't answer requests.
Works fine with exactly 128 Virtual Hosts.

We adjusted the suggested performance parameters in hopes of that fixing the
problem. We also upped the MaxClients as well.  None of those seemed to help.
We went back to 1.1.3 and everything works fine.

Running under shell using limit <all> unlimited...

Sean
snowdog@charm.net

>How-To-Repeat:
Trying creating 129 Virtual Hosts on a BSDI 2.1 box running 1.2b7???
>Fix:
Shru