httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Reorder Configuration now
Date Wed, 23 Apr 1997 00:03:07 GMT
On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> >From the fingers of "Roy T. Fielding" flowed the following:
> >
> >I think we need to do this now, not later.  At the very least, the
> >URL manipulation modules need to be placed in proper order, which is
> >
> >      proxy
> >      alias
> >      rewrite
>
>     +1 for 1.2.. but I find this dependecy alarming, and definitely
>     something to be addressed for 2.0.  A workaround for 1.2 for affected
>     modules might be for them to leave notes for themselves of what they
>     had during earlier calls, and then check during the fixup phase to
>     see if someone else frobbed the request.  That's still
>     order-dependent, but somewhat of an improvement I think.

No, it's certainly not alarming. At least, not in my book. There's
nothing wrong with how the behavior is, it's just makes for some
nonsensical configurations if used incorrectly. Apache modules are
called in a given order for each phase of the request. For example, if
you have two copies of mod_alias, modified so one uses Alias1 and one
uses Alias2 as their directives, and you put the Alias1 version above
Alias2 in Configuration, then put this in the config files:

Alias1 /some/path /somewhere
Alias2 /some /somewhere/else

Then /some/patch/or/another will map to /somewhere/else/or/another,
because Alias2 is loaded first. This is why, btw, Alias and Redirect
are both in mod_alias, but UserDir is seperate; the NCSA httpd
happened to interpret its configuration in that order, so Apache emulates
it.

So while putting proxy after rewrite may mean that you cannot use
rewrite to rewrite proxy requests, it's not (at least IMHO)
"alarming", the server is behaving exactly as its supposed to.