httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Spaces in filenames
Date Mon, 14 Apr 1997 00:22:02 GMT
On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Chuck Murcko wrote:

> It looks like spaces in paths for FTP requests are getting removed
> before they reach the proxy's handlers. This is an observation, not a
> requirement for an immediate fix.
>
> ftp://emwac.ed.ac.uk/microsoft/tools/ACITT Disk 2
>
> is becoming
>
> ftp://emwac.ed.ac.uk/microsoft/tools/ACITT
>
> by the time proxy_trans sees it, instead of
>
> ftp://emwac.ed.ac.uk/microsoft/tools/ACITT%20Disk%202
>
> or being left alone, so there's not much I can fix up about the request.
> This will prevent users selecting directories or files of this form.

When is this occuring? Does the URL sent by the browser contain the
spaces? If so, that's not a legal URL; the browser should replace the
spaces with %20 before sending it to the server. If it isn't, I don't
think there's much we can (or should) do about it.

Likewise, I don't know if the Apache FTP proxy gives directory
listings, but if it does, it should not put spaces in its URLs. It
should use %20.