httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: something to think about for 2.0...
Date Wed, 09 Apr 1997 00:17:25 GMT
On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:

> Okay, vote time.
>
> There are two options if we do this and avoid long beta phases in future:
>
> 	1) work on 1.2.8 until we think it is free of major bugs and
> 		hold up the start of 2.0 until then.

> 	2) split the code into two versions. 1.2.8 and 2.0 and release
> 		new versions as and when there's enough new code or
> 		fixes to warrant it. The 1.2 branch will fizzle away as
> 		interest in it fades.
>
> I'd vote   +0 on (1) and +1 on (2). Other options are welcomed.

I personally like the beta-cycle routine we have now; regardless, the
next version should be 1.2b9/1.2.0. 1.2.8 is not a valid option
IMO. If we want to scratch the betas, that's okay (I guess), but it
should be called 1.2.0.

As for the 1.2/2.0 distinction, I vote +1 on (1), +0 on (2). I think
that we should not start work on 2.0 until we believe 1.2 to be
"done". Of course, bug fixes can still be applied. I think we're
nearing completion of 1.2 at any rate (within a month).

As well, I think the question may be irrelevant, since my belief is
that we need to have some serious discussion of 2.0 before we start in
on any coding; i.e. discussing how we want to approach it, how we want
to do it, who we want to do it (e.g. what is the status of the RST
apache-XX code?), etc... I think that can take place intermingled in a
1.2 finalization. (and we've been discussing 2.0 since 1.1 anyway).