httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: general/232: Apache 1.2b7/b8-dev causes Netscape to display some jpeg's as broken images (fwd)
Date Mon, 07 Apr 1997 23:42:36 GMT
On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> Sending these headers:
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 22:34:44 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.2b8-dev mod_perl/0.94xxxxxxxxx
> Last-Modified: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 22:18:18 GMT
> ETag: "1c27e-fe8-3329ceaa"
>
> with the arthritis.jpg file
> (http://www.enews.com/graphics/covers/arthritis.jpg) appended after that,
> using a server of:
>
> 	cat file | nc -l -p 8080
>
> where nc is Hobbit's netcat caused Communicator 4.0b3 to display the
> broken image icon.  If I added one more character to the server name, it
> was still broken, but if I added another one to that it was ok.

> Further experimenting shows that it is when the headers reach 257 bytes
> that the problem pops up.  My money is on a bug in Netscape's software.

Out of curiosity... what happens if you throw a flush (bflush or
rflush) into the end of send_http_header? (i.e. after the header but
before the document itself)

I wonder if this is related to the header-size issues that plagued
Netscape 2 and keepalive for small files (basically, if the file is
small enough so it fits in the same read as the last read of the
headers, Netscape would hang until the server timed the keepalive
out). It might be a similar problem.