httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: unsigned host port
Date Mon, 07 Apr 1997 05:35:44 GMT
On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> I've got the beginnings of a patch which cleans up even more unsignedness
> probs.  I'll try to get it to the list tonight.

Okay, I've a question:

The port variable was recently changed from a signed short to an
unsigned short. This is well and good, but it is also a public
member of an API structure. Doesn't this mean that it should get a
MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER bump?

If a module compiled for an older version (1.2b7, say) that makes use
of the port variable is linked into the current Apache, mightn't it be
about 32678 off when it comes to the number of the port? In other
words, I'm not sure if this is a change that is binary-compatible with
object files from previous Apaches. And if it isn't, I we should
change the API number.

Admittedly, I'm not sure this is really an issue. I seem to recall
most C implementations using the highest bit of a value for sign, but
I don't remember whether that bits being on indicates positive or
negative. If the latter, we probably get away with doing nothing. If
the former, we should definitely do something.

Can someone with more intimate C experience than I please comment on
this?