httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Dirk.vanGu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: mod_auth problems (fwd)
Date Sun, 13 Apr 1997 21:22:54 GMT
On Sat, 12 Apr 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:

> Something for the FAQ..

Acutally, I remmeber submitting a patch at least twice to
fix this in the apche code, but it never made it top a vote.

Let me re-submit it; I think it is worthwile to allow for it
with clear #DEFINEs around it; as I would like to stop people
from shooting themselves in the foot like that ! Kind of having
an entire tank brigade just to cut of a leg.

Dw.

> Rob, I wrote to you about two weeks ago regarding problems I was having
> with Apache 1.1.1 and Apache 1.2b6 when attempting authorisation. It turns
> out that this is because my access control files have:
>
> <username>:<password>:
>
> When the file is like this, Apache 1.2b6 (and b8) make use of everything
> from the first colon onwards as the crypted password, thus causing the
> authorisation failed dialog.
>
> Once you remove the second colon so each line looks like :
>
> <username>:<password>
>
> Authorisaton works. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but it should probably
> be documented so that others who might be having problems can resolve it.
>
> Thanks, Anand.
>
> --
>  `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
>   its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are
>   forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how
>   holy the motives' -- Robert A Heinlein, "If this goes on --"

http://ewse.ceo.org                         http://enrm.ceo.org
DWvGulik@Dialis.xs4all.nl                  Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it
+39 332 78 0014                                 +39 332 78 9549
                                            fax +39 332 78 9185

ISEI/ESBA;                     The Center For Earth Observation
Joint Research Centre of the European Communities, Ispra, Italy