httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Tao <t...@nbc.netcom.ca>
Subject $#%@#! Solaris 2.5.1 and fd problem FAQ
Date Fri, 25 Apr 1997 20:48:32 GMT
    I know this has probably been answered a billion times before, so
if someone could point me towards an archive for this list, I'll just
look there.  ;-)

    I'm bumping into what appears to be a limit of 255 open files
under Solaris 2.5.1.  FD_SETSIZE is 1024, and I've increased the
number of fd's as suggested by the Solaris 2.x FAQ to 1024/4096
(current/max).  The fdopen() man page suggests that FD_SETSIZE is
irrelevant, and that Solaris is only capable of handling a filedes
argument of 255 or less.  This seems ridiculous for an OS that is
touted as an Internet platform, so I thought I'd ask for a sanity
check here.  Is there any way to have Solaris open more than 255 files
at a time per process?  I'm getting this error:

fopen: Error 0
httpd: could not log pid to file /www/logs/httpd.pid

    I know I can reconfigure Apache's logging to save everything to a
single file, and then split them later, but that's not an option that
is immediately available (part of the service offering is separate CLF
access_log and error_log for each customer).  Running more than one
Apache with separate httpd.conf's is also not an option right now.  My
bandaid right now is commenting out the TransferLog and ErrorLog
directives of virtual hosts that aren't active yet.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@netcom.ca)