httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Bignell <>
Subject Re: Netscape 2.01 vs Apache 1.2b7 (fwd)
Date Wed, 23 Apr 1997 00:10:46 GMT
On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> The biggest problem with this one that I see is that all he is saying is
> Netscape "services connections quicker".  Hell, I'll buy that if he is
> serving 2 byte documents since Apache outputs twice the volume of headers
> that most versions of Netscape's server do.  I asked what metrics he was
> using, but he skipped that question...

	They are probably also not noticing things like the footprint of
the Netscape server compared to Apache, most of the netscape servers
I have run take 12-16 megs (Solaris 2.5.1, netscape enterprise with
the patch to fix the threading problem) and Apache doesn't usually
need more than about 2. (per child of course).   I can still make
a server populated with netscape daemons grind to a painful halt
with a little forking telnet/get script, but I saturate the
eithernet well before the server starts bugging out when using

View raw message