httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject something to think about for 2.0...
Date Tue, 08 Apr 1997 12:09:23 GMT

Something I'd like you all to think about to yourselves, whilst taking a shower
or driving to work or zoning out at the park:

Is there any benefit, in terms of speed, memory usage, config file complexity,
or code maintenance, to dropping the absolute dogma of total backwards
compliance.

Consider the chain from URL to file system resource.  In Apache right now this
is very complex, involving several overlapping directives with somewhat
unpredictable results for those unfamiliar with Apache internals.  Does Occam's
razor have a role here?

I think 2.0 will allow us to take something of a departure from our heritage,
should we wish to do so.  Certainly other servers have benefitted from not
having backwards compatibility with NCSA as a design requirement.

No need for discussion now, just want people to think about it...

	Brian