httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: SEGVs and PHP.. but not PHP?
Date Thu, 24 Apr 1997 14:21:22 GMT
On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>     Okey, he's running "FreeBSD 2.2.1 RELEASE #0" and "PHP/FI-2.0b11"
>     and not getting a core dump.  This is starting to get monotonous..
>
>     a) Rasmus, are there known SEGV problems with this version of PHP?
>        Does he need to upgrade?
>     b) Do we have a list of systems that need to be frobbed in order to
>        dump core from superuser jobs?  (FreeBSD, Linux, ... ; what
>        variants/versions...)
>     c) Do we have instructions about how to enable core dumps for [B]
>        systems?  (I thought we had a couple, but now I can't find
>        them..)
>
>     I put something in the FAQ about the missing dumps, but it looks
>     like more is needed - like a page of how to work around it.

I think Randy mailed the change required to this person.  What I am going
to do when I get a chance is add a insecurecoredump sysctl for FreeBSD so
they can patch the kernel and enable it on the fly.  If I'm lucky, I'll be
able to convince someone that it is a good thing(tm) to be able to stick
in the FreeBSD source tree so life is easier in the future.  I really
can't think of any workaround that doesn't require kernel changes, other
than having the server not do a setuid().