httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Netscape 2.01 vs Apache 1.2b7 (fwd)
Date Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:51:08 GMT
On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> And (flame me!) try -DNO_LINGCLOSE if upgrading to 1.2b8 (or preferably
> 1.2b9-dev)  doesn't even things up.
>
> But actually my guess is that if you were to look at their config it looks
> like this:
>
> StartServers 5
> MinSpareServers 5
> MaxSpareServers 10

No, their config did look like

MinSpareServers 24
MaxSpareServers 48
MaxRequestsPerChild 30

(with MaxRequestsPerChild increased to 200 after I suggested raising it)

The biggest problem with this one that I see is that all he is saying is
Netscape "services connections quicker".  Hell, I'll buy that if he is
serving 2 byte documents since Apache outputs twice the volume of headers
that most versions of Netscape's server do.  I asked what metrics he was
using, but he skipped that question...

Some metrics (eg. time for first packet of response to arrive, which some
magazines _have_ used) are darn misleading because sending a bunch of
small packets will decrease that time interval, but will lead to overall
worse performance.