httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/htdocs/manual/misc FAQ.html
Date Mon, 21 Apr 1997 23:47:25 GMT
On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, sameer wrote:

> > coar        97/04/21 15:43:25
> >
> >   Modified:    htdocs/manual/misc  FAQ.html
> >   Log:
> >   	Update comments and add nph-script Q&A.  (BTW, "connexion" is *not*
> >   	a typo!)
>
> 	ok, I'm confused. What's 'connexion' then?

British (and mildly historical) spelling of connection.  You want
the full history?  How about... "after you have connexed to the
server, it will drop the connextion if it doesn't like you being
connexed."  I think that's correct, but I'm no expert... <g>

Courtesy of the OED:

connexion, connection (k&schwa.'nekS&schwa.n). [ad. L. connexion-em (in cl. L.
conexion-) binding together, close union, n. of action f. co(n)nect-ere (ppl.
stem co(n)nex-) to CONNECT: cf. Fr. connexion (14th c. Oresme), Pr. connexio,
Sp. conexion, Pg. connexao, Ital. connessione.  The etymological spelling
connexion is the original in Eng.; in 17th c. it was supported by the verb
CONNEX; after the latter was displaced by CONNECT, the sb. began c 1725-50 to
be often spelt connection, a spelling which, under the influence of
etymologically-formed words, such as affection, collection, direction,
inspection (all f. L. ppl. stems in -ect-), is now very frequent.
  The earlier Eng. lexicographers, including Bailey, Johnson, Walker, Todd,
Crabb, recognize connexion only. Connection appears in Webster (1828) who says
`For the sake of regular analogy, I have inserted Connection as the derivative
of the English connect, and would discard connexion'.  This preference has
been followed by other dictionaries in U.S.  Latham would differentiate the
two spellings and use connexion only in senses 5-8.  Connexion is the official
and invariable spelling in sense 8, and was used in all senses by the majority
of writers (or printers) in England until the mid-20th c., when connection
became more ususal.]