httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: FAQ questions/Apache Week links
Date Fri, 18 Apr 1997 21:38:07 GMT
On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:

[...]
> Not wishing to re-invent the wheel in writing FAQ answers to these
> questions above, what about linking to the relevant feature in Apache Week
> if it exists.  E.g
>
>   Q: Why can't I publish to my Apache server using PUT/Netscape Gold?
>
>   A: Because you need to install and configure a script to handle
>      the uploaded files. This script is often called a "PUT" handler.
>      There are several available, but they may have security problems.
>      Using FTP uploads may be easier and more secure, at least for now.
>      [See also <a href="">"Publishing Pages with PUT"</a> in Apache Week]
>
> This provides the answers people need at minimum effort all round. The
> external link is clearly identified so that people don't confuse A.W.
> articles with "official" Apache page.

I like the idea in general, especially for the more in-depth issues; the
primary goal of the FAQ is to answer questions, I don't care how they are
answered as long as it works.  I would like to avoid making the FAQ into
simply a long list of pointers to other things, but as long as a
reasonable summary of the issues is included with the link, that makes me
happy.

A good number of the Apache Week things are in more of a tutorial style
than the FAQ is; for such things, having a basic description in the FAQ
with a link to the more detailed page is a great way of doing things.