httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: general/232: Apache 1.2b7/b8-dev causes Netscape to display some jpeg's as broken images (fwd)
Date Tue, 08 Apr 1997 00:54:48 GMT
On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > Sending these headers:
> >
> > HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> > Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 22:34:44 GMT
> > Server: Apache/1.2b8-dev mod_perl/0.94xxxxxxxxx
> > Last-Modified: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 22:18:18 GMT
> > ETag: "1c27e-fe8-3329ceaa"
> >
> > with the arthritis.jpg file
> > (http://www.enews.com/graphics/covers/arthritis.jpg) appended after that,
> > using a server of:
> >
> > 	cat file | nc -l -p 8080
> >
> > where nc is Hobbit's netcat caused Communicator 4.0b3 to display the
> > broken image icon.  If I added one more character to the server name, it
> > was still broken, but if I added another one to that it was ok.
>
> > Further experimenting shows that it is when the headers reach 257 bytes
> > that the problem pops up.  My money is on a bug in Netscape's software.
>
> Out of curiosity... what happens if you throw a flush (bflush or
> rflush) into the end of send_http_header? (i.e. after the header but
> before the document itself)

Was just about to try that.  Yup, that fixes it.  Sigh.  This does not
affect _all_ cases where the headers and start of the body are in the same
packet, but only some.

So, do we hack around Netscape's lameness by adding a bflush()?  (funny,
Dean just went and removed all that unnecessary flushing... <sigh>)

I'll send it off to someone at Netscape and perhaps it will wind its way
through.