httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: FYI - coredumps on FreeBSD
Date Sun, 06 Apr 1997 20:42:36 GMT
On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:
>
> > Chuck, Dirk and I had reported that we were seeing some odd SEGV
> > problems that seemed to be associated with a call to
> > lingering_close. I seem to have tracked down the problem as being
> > caused by the server being linked with libraries that had not been
> > compiled with FD_SETSIZE=1024 as my kernels and the rest of the
> > servers have.
>
> What does that mean to your average FreeBSD user (like me) ?
>
> Building a new kernel sounds extreme.

It means don't play with FD_SETSIZE on 2.1.x period.  The magic is bad on
2.1; anything compiled with FD_SETSIZE set to the default of 256 can break
when you try to hack FD_SETSIZE for specific applications.  To increase it
above than 256, you have to essentially change it and do a make world.

In 2.2, you can set it while compiling applications (like Apache) and the
libraries and kernel _should_ play nicely.