httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: [STATUS] Mon Mar 31
Date Wed, 02 Apr 1997 01:33:50 GMT
On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Chuck Murcko wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > >
> > > 1.2b8 status as of Mon Mar 31 20:36:02 PST 1997
> > >

> > >   * SEGV under FreeBSD, Next with lingering_close
> > >       <3331034D.167EB0E7@topsail.org>
> > >

> > Do we have access to a core for this one? It would be interesting
> > to know _where_ it's happening.
>
> I'm trying to get the (&&^$%$#ing thing to dump core. I'm beginning to
> wonder if that's one of the security improvements in 2.1.7. 8^(

Yes.  In kern/kern_sig.c there is:

        if (p->p_flag & P_SUGID)
                return (EFAULT);

P_SUGID is set when a process does a setuid() and is only reset on exec.
(sortof; there were a few bugs with this... but that is the intent).  The
easiest way I can think of to get a core dump is to just temporarily
remove the above two lines; it creates a relatively minor security hole,
but...