httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject RSA patents in Canada
Date Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:23:05 GMT
(no, this isn't appropriate to this list and I post simply because there
are a good number of people who may know... any discussion is probably
best taken off-list)

Does RSA's patent related to the cipher needed to talk SSL to most clients
apply in Canada?  I have seen this asked a good bit but can find no answer
anywhere.

RSA says:

>Question 22. Is RSA Patented?
>
>RSA is patented under U.S. Patent 4,405,829, issued September 29, 1983 and
>held by RSA Data Security, Inc. of Redwood City, California;
>the patent expires 17 years after issue, in 2000. RSA Data Security has a
>standard, royalty-based licensing policy which can be modified for
>special circumstances. The U.S. government can use RSA without a license
>because it was invented at MIT with partial government funding.
>
>In the U.S., a license is needed to "make, use or sell" RSA. However, RSA
>Data Security usually allows free non-commercial use of RSA,
>with written permission, for academic or university research purposes.
>Furthermore, RSA Laboratories has made available (in the U.S. and
>Canada) at no charge a collection of cryptographic routines in source
>code, including the RSA algorithm; it can be used, improved and
>redistributed non-commercially (see Question 174).

which doesn't say it is patented in Canada, but somewhere in the
ApacheWeek bit on it I think it is implied that you need a RSA
license in Canada as well.