httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject oddity w/SIGHUP (related to PR#429)
Date Sun, 20 Apr 1997 16:53:00 GMT
PR#429 brings up the issue of multiple SIGHUPs very soon after one
another.  Not sure why the proxy affects things, but there is an
unavoidable (while using portable signal() semantics) race condition after
restart() is called and before it resets HUPs to be ignored.  The length
of this race condition could be reduced by adding a signal(SIGHUP,
SIG_IGN) at the start of restart(), but you still have the problem that
subsequent HUPs may be ignored if they come in the wrong place.

What I noticed that seemed odd is that if I start Apache, then do
something like:

	while true; do kill -HUP 666; done

where 666 is the PID of the parent, eventually the parent will get a new
PID.  I haven't had a chance to look, but I don't recall any code that
would do this... am I crazy?  This is under FreeBSD 2.1.x.