httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: general/232: Apache 1.2b7/b8-dev causes Netscape to display some jpeg's as broken images (fwd)
Date Mon, 07 Apr 1997 01:06:38 GMT
Ok, so who wants to whine to Netscape this time about their lame browser?

To summarize, the problem:

Connect to a server that says it is:

	Server: Apache/1.2b8-dev mod_perl/0.94

Try to download certain images.  Navigator and Communicator both choke.
See http://www.enews.com/graphics/covers/arthritis.jpg as an example.  If
you copy it to a local server without the mod_perl bit in the server name
it will display fine.  If you then add the mod_perl bit it breaks.  I
don't know anyone particularily involved in this aspect, although I could
probably get someone who could get it to the right place...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 18:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: apache-bugdb@apache.org
Cc: apache-bugdb@apache.org
Subject: Re: general/232: Apache 1.2b7/b8-dev causes Netscape to display some jpeg's as broken
images

The following reply was made to PR general/232; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Patrick Kane <modus@enews.com>
images
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 18:52:05 -0600 (MDT)

 Wow.  Amazing.  Astounding.

 Looks like a bug in Netscape, both 3.x and 4.0b2 under Unix.  If I add a:

 	#define SERVER_SUBVERSION "mod_perl/0.94"

 to my httpd.h I can reproduce it easily.  Changing SERVER_SUBVERSION to
 "h" made things work, so perhaps it is the / causing problems.

 So, a workaround should be to remove however mod_perl adds the mod_perl
 bit to the server name.  A fix is to beat Netscape over the head until
 they fix it.  Quite an odd problem.