httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: config/315: <LIMIT> causes two password queries unless given fqdn.
Date Sun, 06 Apr 1997 01:57:27 GMT
The answer to this (psst... another FAQ?) is probably that Apache is
issuing a redirect which causes it to be a different server as far as the
client knows, making it reprompt for the name.

If the directory /foo/ is protected, is there any reason why a request for
/foo needs to return a 401?  Would it cause a security hole if it just
returned the redirect to /foo/ without requiring authentication?  That
would eliminate this frequent problem; Netscape Commerce 1.1 avoids the
problem by doing things this way.

Don't have time to look at the code right now...