httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: graceful restarts, take 5
Date Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:05:43 GMT
I've just tested this patch and then read it line-by-line and can
honestly say that I wouldn't run a big (ISP type) server without it.
In fact, after testing it versus the current snapshot, I think we need
to either include this (with change noted below) in 1.2 or must remove
all trace of the graceful restart stuff before 1.2, since the current
code is much worse than I thought before testing it.

Aside from that, the risk of this patch breaking things is about
the same as the timeout patch we already committed, since the core
of both involve getting the signal handling right.  In other words,
I'd rather delay 1.2b9 for this than let it slide.

I do have one incidental change in alloc.c:

>***************
>*** 201,206 ****
>--- 199,210 ----
>
>    /* Nope. */
>
>+   if (min_size + BLOCK_MINFREE < BLOCK_MINALLOC) {
>+     min_size = BLOCK_MINALLOC;
>+   } else {
>+     min_size += BLOCK_MINALLOC;
>+   }
>+
>    return malloc_block (min_size);
>  }

I am pretty sure the above should be

     if (min_size + BLOCK_MINFREE < BLOCK_MINALLOC) {
       min_size = BLOCK_MINALLOC;
     } else {
       min_size += BLOCK_MINFREE;
     }

(i.e., the last BLOCK_MINALLOC is wrong).

.....Roy