httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: [STATUS] Sun Apr 13 19:08:09 PDT 1997
Date Mon, 14 Apr 1997 10:28:10 GMT
>From the fingers of Dean Gaudet flowed the following:
>
>Contrib stuff / future:
>
>  * Start digital signing the distributions.

    Should we start this with 1.2?  Just for grins, I created a keypair
    for "The Apache Group", but it's unclear how to distribute the
    secret key (or to whom).  Via file on Taz..?

>  * Marc proposed keeping a list of things broken for HTTP/1.1; on the
>      Web or part of the distribution?
>      (no PR#, 1.2, 21/2/1997, "Marc Slemko" <marcs@znep.com>)
>        - Chuck likes the idea (hopefully will reduce redundant
>    	  reports); thinks it should be on the Web
>        - Ken thinks it should be in the htdocs tree so it hits both
>	- Chuck gives +1 to Ken's idea, so does Ralf

    I'm no HTTP maven, and the only things of which I could think that
    fall into this category are:

     o Doesn't issue "Vary: Host" in responses because it would appear
       in *all* responses and would therefore chew up bandwidth
       unnecessarily.  [I'm still not entirely comfortable with this;
       just because Apache's (current) implementation means we'd send
       the header every time doesn't == it's okey to violate the RFC in
       the interests of performance.  Just IMHO.]
     o Proxy isn't HTTP/1.1-compliant yet.

    Are there any others?

    On the 2.0 front..  Is there any current mechanism for recording
    things for consideration?  If not, should there be?  If so, should
    it be readable by our `customers' so they can comment?  I ask
    because I know I can think of about half-a-dozen things, but they're
    either only in my head or scattered through megabytes of archived
    mail..

    #ken    :-)}