httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite and per-dir context
Date Sat, 12 Apr 1997 18:55:45 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> In article <> you wrote:
> > Some people have seen problems with rewrite rules in per-directory context
> > (i.e. actually in .htaccess) files. Currently I discovered a problem, too.
> > Seems like a problem between 1.2b7 and 1.2b8.  While there was no real changes
> > in this way to mod_rewrite between 1.2b7 and 1.2b8 it seems like any other
> > changes to Apache cause these problems.
> > Today I have no more time to trace it down but I'll investigate tomorrow.
> > Currently it seems like mod_rewrite ignores all its per-directoy configs.
> > Where there any changes to the options allow mechanism or such things? Has
> > anybody else problems with rewrite rules in .htaccess files, too?
> Although I've limited time today I've traced down the problem a little bit.
> The function config_perdir_create(pool *p, char *path) of mod_rewrite in 1.2b7
> always receives a valid directory name of the cases where RewriteRules are
> used in .htaccess files. But in 1.2b8 it always receives a NULL.  This leads
> to a total ignore in the rewrite engine later (which need to know the
> directory name).
> Does anyone already know why the API has changed here? Or is the current
> behaviour correct and the old beheviour was wrong? How can a module determine
> in its per-dir config-create function what the name of the directory is if
> "path" is not the correct variable?

I'd guess this is a consequence of the major rearrangement someone did
recently, I forget who, to the directory walking stuff. It is definitely not
supposed to be this way.

> ** At least, why has the API changed at this point? **

To fix a bug. Seems like the fix has its own bugs. Looks like a 1.2b9 is
inevitable. Sigh.

Ben Laurie                Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435  Email:
Technical Director        URL:
A.L. Digital Ltd,         Apache Group member (