httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: something to think about for 2.0...
Date Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:12:21 GMT
>From the fingers of Ben Laurie flowed the following:
>Rob Hartill wrote:
>> Okay, vote time.
>> There are two options if we do this and avoid long beta phases in future:
>> 	1) work on 1.2.8 until we think it is free of major bugs and
>> 		hold up the start of 2.0 until then.
>> 	2) split the code into two versions. 1.2.8 and 2.0 and release
>> 		new versions as and when there's enough new code or
>> 		fixes to warrant it. The 1.2 branch will fizzle away as
>> 		interest in it fades.
>> I'd vote   +0 on (1) and +1 on (2). Other options are welcomed.
>I'm in favour of (2), but I hate the idea that it should be called 1.2.8.
>That's just confusing. We've got a system, let's stick to it.
>I'd suggest that 1.2b8 is released, if it survives a week or two without major
>bugs, we release the next version as 1.2, then carry on in the usual way.

    Personally, I'd like to see 1.2 released (as 1.2, not 1.2.0 or
    1.2.8) within the next fortnight, but with the following things

     o Any no-impact pending changes get committed (e.g., mod_example ;-)
     o Any compilation problems on historically-supported platforms get
       fixed first
     o Any *new* core-dump issues (discovered within the next four days)
       get fixed

    The last two I consider to be regressions we should try to avoid
    leaving in the final release.  Any problems that *aren't* new just
    get release-noted/FAQed, and fixed if and when.

    After that, hey for the life on the open C!  Bug fixes to 1.2 as
    people figure them out, but the main thrust on 2.0.

    Just MHO..

    #ken    :-)}

View raw message