httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: something to think about for 2.0...
Date Wed, 09 Apr 1997 09:08:58 GMT
Rob Hartill wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
> > >and prevent it from settling. It'll never be perfect and the longer we
> > >leave it the more new bugs we'll find. We just as well remove the "b"
> > >and call it 1.2.8 and increment the most minor number ever few weeks
> > >if any bugs get squished.
> >
> > That would be fine by me -- I've never liked
> > the beta designation.
>
> Okay, vote time.
>
> There are two options if we do this and avoid long beta phases in future:
>
> 	1) work on 1.2.8 until we think it is free of major bugs and
> 		hold up the start of 2.0 until then.
>
> 	2) split the code into two versions. 1.2.8 and 2.0 and release
> 		new versions as and when there's enough new code or
> 		fixes to warrant it. The 1.2 branch will fizzle away as
> 		interest in it fades.
>
> I'd vote   +0 on (1) and +1 on (2). Other options are welcomed.

I'm in favour of (2), but I hate the idea that it should be called 1.2.8.
That's just confusing. We've got a system, let's stick to it.

I'd suggest that 1.2b8 is released, if it survives a week or two without major
bugs, we release the next version as 1.2, then carry on in the usual way.

Cheers,

Ben.