httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: [DOCS] Partially-updated draft FAQ r-f-c
Date Fri, 04 Apr 1997 21:12:29 GMT
>From the fingers of Paul Sutton flowed the following:
>
>About time the FAQ actually answered people's frequently asked questions.
>Perhaps you could arrange things into sections, rather than sequential
>numbers, like many other FAQs (e.g. questions 1.1 thru 1.10 instead of 1
>to 10, in a "general things about Apache" section, then questions 2.1
>upwards in a "configuration" section, or whatever.

    I'll give that some thought.  At the moment, I'm letting HTML do the
    numbering, and that doesn't support subsections (alas!).

>I can look up the questions I get asked at editors@apacheweek.com for some
>more ideas of things to answer (with answers).

    That would be a treMENDous help.  Thenkew in advance!!  I'd like to
    get a lot more into it before 1.2 formal release, so deluge me!
    deluge me!

    Some things I'm thinking about adding, and am not sure are
    appropriate or don't have a clear answer for:

     o The fact that 1.2b6 included an out-of-sync mod_rewrite (this
       generated a high report level for a while, but has quieted down)
     o how to PUT (is the Apache Week article store persistent?  May I
       point to the article in the latest issue?  If so, where does/will
       it live?)
     o `can't bind to port 80' ("permission denied" or "address already
       in use") - canonical answer to this one?

    Opinions/answers on these?

>It would be nice to post this to c.i.w.s.u regularly like other real FAQs,
>to try and cut down the number of repeat posts of the same question (there
>must be a question about POST giving "Method Not Implemented" in there
>every week).

    Once I feel more comfortable with the content being more
    true-to-life and what people really want to know, I'll undertake to
    do this as well.  Following that concept, I'd like to submit the FAQ
    documentation changes (when ready) to a vote rather than having them
    be automatic; if voted in, I'll take that as license to start
    posting to c.i.w.s.u.

    #ken    :-)}