httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <>
Subject Re: Voting guidelines..
Date Sun, 13 Apr 1997 16:13:04 GMT
Jim Jagielski <> writes:

> Right now, all commits MUST be true bug-fixes; not enhancements, not
> "better ways of doing this": Bug fixes.

This should have been the case since the first beta and that was what
was agreed but too many people have loosened the criteria and now
they've loosened so much virtually anything is apparently a "bug fix"!

> I think Paul had a point, and a good one. However, I don;t think that
> it calls for a total revamp of How We Do Business, which it appears
> is what he may have been advocating and what most people disapprove
> of (myself included).

I'm not calling for a total revamp. I always been against voting and
prior to the beta release we'd relaxed it so that unless it was a
major change you could just go and commit it and that worked
absolutely fine until we decided to do a beta release and the voting
was re-imposed. Since then the quality of the tree has dropped
significantly and 6 months later we're in worse shape.

Perhaps the only "revamp" I'd suggest is that we branch the tree for
releases from now on and have a release engineer.

The code needs a serious clean-up and I can't do that in a beta
release without breaking the rules I'm advocating so I'm just sitting
here twiddling my thumbs while people keep applying bandaids and
ultimately making the situation worse.

  Dr Paul Richards, Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (UK Mobile)

View raw message