httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <>
Subject Re: something to think about for 2.0...
Date Tue, 08 Apr 1997 19:59:21 GMT
It may be worthwhile thinking about assigning priority to handlers, to
force things to happen internally in some defined order. I shudder to
think about putting these into a config file, but that may be what we
should do.

In the course of rewriting the code, can this be cleaned up to be less

Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Something I'd like you all to think about to yourselves, whilst taking a shower
> or driving to work or zoning out at the park:
> Is there any benefit, in terms of speed, memory usage, config file complexity,
> or code maintenance, to dropping the absolute dogma of total backwards
> compliance.
> Consider the chain from URL to file system resource.  In Apache right now this
> is very complex, involving several overlapping directives with somewhat
> unpredictable results for those unfamiliar with Apache internals.  Does Occam's
> razor have a role here?
> I think 2.0 will allow us to take something of a departure from our heritage,
> should we wish to do so.  Certainly other servers have benefitted from not
> having backwards compatibility with NCSA as a design requirement.
> No need for discussion now, just want people to think about it...
>         Brian

Chuck Murcko
The Topsail Group, West Chester PA USA

View raw message