httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>
Subject Re: Proxy passing file types
Date Sun, 06 Apr 1997 06:57:41 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> One thing we've run into an interesting need to be able to support is the
> ability to use the proxy code to relay a request for certain file types, rather
> than just on a subdirectory basis like we have now.  I.e.
>
>   http://www.apache.org/foo.jhtml
>
> would get relayed to
>
>   http://jigsaw.apache.org/foo.jtml
>
> or even
>
>   http://jigsaw.apache.org/template.class/foo.jtml
>
> where jigsaw was used to create that page.  ProxyPass right now works on the
> subdirectory level, i.e.
>
>   http://apache.mirror.com/apache/ -> http://www.apache.org
>
> (or even on /) but this is slightly different.  The proxy code is looking for a
> subdir to remove from the path to make the request, based on the second
> argument to ProxyPass.
>
> We modified the proxy code to not do this if the path doesn't being with / -
> i.e.
>
> ProxyPass .jtml http://jigsaw.apache.org/
>
> This works like a charm.  I'll submit this in a few days after some more
> testing... I was just wondering if folks thought this was the right path to
> take.  We also tried
>
> <Location *.jtml>
> ProxyPass / http://jigsaw.apache.org/
> </Location>
>
> [apache.org used as an example]
>
> But the server barfed on the config, saying "ProxyPass not allowed here".
>
> Feedback would be cool.

There seem to be lots of requests to do this and more with the proxy,
including rewriting pages passing through the proxy. This sounds like a
start, and worth including in 1.2.1. The proxy will get largely
rewritten for 2.0, so per dir equivalent of this (as Dean suggested)
would be a nice thing to have.
--
chuck
Chuck Murcko