httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: Changed information for PR general/361 (fwd)
Date Wed, 23 Apr 1997 15:59:50 GMT
> Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com> writes:
>
> > I stand corrected with regard to the manual pages and includes.
> >
> > However, the kernel logged error messages saying this was an
> > unsupported flag. I'll have to look into this more.
>
> The fcntl syscall is in /sys/kern/kern_descrip.c
>
> What are the error messages you're seeing?
>
> --
>   Dr Paul Richards, Originative Solutions Ltd.
>   Internet: paul@originat.demon.co.uk
>   Phone: 0370 462071 (UK Mobile)

After revisiting this, the errors are coming from perror:

[Wed Apr 23 10:49:43 1997] - Error getting accept lock. Exiting!
[Wed Apr 23 10:49:43 1997] fcntl: F_SETLKW: Invalid argument
[Wed Apr 23 10:49:43 1997] - Error getting accept lock. Exiting!
[Wed Apr 23 10:49:43 1997] fcntl: F_SETLKW: Invalid argument
[Wed Apr 23 10:49:43 1997] - Error getting accept lock. Exiting!
[Wed Apr 23 10:49:43 1997] fcntl: F_SETLKW: Invalid argument
[Wed Apr 23 10:49:43 1997] - Error getting accept lock. Exiting!

>From the manpage:

     [EINVAL]      Cmd is F_DUPFD and arg is negative or greater than the max-
                   imum allowable number (see getdtablesize(2)).

                   The argument cmd is F_GETLK, F_SETLK, or F_SETLKW and the
                   data to which arg points is not valid, or fildes refers to
                   a file that does not support locking.

I wonder if it has a problem with the fact that I am running on a
system compiled with FD_SETSIZE=1024.

Also from the manpage:

 minor semantic problem with this interface is that locks are not inherit-
     ed by a child process created using the fork(2) function.  The flock(2)
     interface has much more rational last close semantics and allows locks to
     be inherited by child processes.  Flock(2) is recommended for applica-
     tions that want to ensure the integrity of their locks when using library
     routines or wish to pass locks to their children.  Note that flock(2) and
     fcntl(2) locks may be safely used concurrently.