httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@opengroup.org>
Subject Re: mod_perl and graceful restart
Date Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:12:11 GMT
Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org> wrote:

> perl's embed.h contains this crap:
>
> #define pregcomp                Perl_pregcomp
> #define pregexec                Perl_pregexec
> #define pregfree                Perl_pregfree
>
> All under the rather false comment "hide global symbols".  If they were
> truly hidden it wouldn't cause compilation conflicts... and it does cause
> a conflict with the graceful restart patch.  I'm just going to hack around
> it in my copy of mod_perl... just an FYI for others though.

This came up a while back, a clash with pregcomp.  You'll see this in
mod_perl.h:

/* perl hides it's symbols in libperl when these macros are
 * expanded to Perl_foo
 * but some cause conflict when expanded in other headers files
 */
#undef pregcomp

If the Perl header files were included after the apache ones, the
clashes might go away.  But, the order was switched a while back due
to other bizarre conflicts on NeXT (which may have gone away by now
with newer Perls).  The next mod_perl release with either switch them
back or add:
#undef pregexec
#undef pregfree

-Doug